Feasting on food in the kitchen, the library, and life.
Twas the week before Christmas,
And all through the apartment,
Not a creature was stirring,
Save for one lone little tenant.
All her friends had gone home,
And classes were done.
Yet she still had to cook,
For herself and plus one.
She thought ‘no worries,
I can post the recipe over break.’
But then she got lazy,
And good photos she did not take.
Christmas finally came,
And good times were had.
She even made the recipe again,
Twice even! Not bad!
But the time came to post,
And the photos, oh dear!
Those damn kitchen lights
Will be my ruin she feared.
So she thought up a plan,
And thought it up quick.
I’ll write them a poem,
In the spirit of Saint Nick.
About a delicious pasta skillet,
Full of veggies and cheese,
That I’ve made 3 times already,
Always hearing ‘More Please!’
That’s the end of my story,
I hope you have a big bite,
Of this market veggie pasta skillet,
For dinner one night!
2 cups whole wheat pasta (I used ziti)
1 zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 cups frozen/canned corn
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
4 tbsp unsalted butter
8 oz 5 Italian Cheese Blend, or your favorite white cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Brown butter: Melt butter in small skillet, and cook until it turns a caramel/brown color (about 5-6 min), stirring constantly so as to avoid burning. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn for last 5 minutes of cooking.
4. Stir pasta into veggie mixture, then pour browned butter over pasta and veggies. Stir in a generous handful of cheese, making sure everything is well coated with butter. Top with rest of cheese.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve.